Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I Finally Got Broadband

Well, I finally did it. I signed up for DSL and am loving every minute of it. My wife and I had been planning to do it for quite awhile, but there were all these questions we had that weren't answered by the carriers' web sites. So we looked for a blockof time and just called. We asked and found out everything we needed to know. In the end, DSL is costing us exactly what our old dial-up was costing, but DSL is lightning fast. It's a no-brainer in our case. I no longer plan my day around a 10-20MB download or have to stay offline because we need the phone for something else. If you're big on train simulation, broadband Internet access should be high on your wish list.

Broadband - cable or DSL - also makes email via Google an attractive proposition. The Gmail interface is great and has some neat organizational features. By having my email based in a central location, rather than on my computer, I can access my mail from anyplace via any computer with Internet access. Google even provides me with a notification icon on the Windows tray that lets me know when an email has arrived. Google also does a great job of filing junk mail in itsown folder so I don't have to sift through it to get rid of it. Finally - and here's the great part - Google provides over 2 GB of space and takes care of the backups. I like that!

Al

No comments: