Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Conquering Vista

"Does Trainz work with Vista?" I've been asked a number of times at train shows. Until now I could only cite what I've seen on the forums: "Yes, BUT ....."

Some people seem to have no difficulty; others do. I now am one of the latter. I've read on the forums that you can get around Vista's over protectiveness by installing Trainz using the Run as Administrator command applied to the installation executable. That didn't do it for me.

Chris Cordes, the US Distributor for Trainz, passed on a solution that had been brought up in his programming group: Install Trainz someplace other than in the C:\Program Files directory. In other words, instead of this (which is the default):

C:\Program Files\Auran\Trainz

use this (for example):

C:\Games\Auran\Trainz or C:\Auran\Trainz

It worked. I now have TRS2004 and TRS2006 running without a hitch. I haven't tried Tainz Classics on this new machine yet.

Al

No comments: